Thursday, August 26, 2010

ワ~危なかった

Had a small gathering with high school mates today, kind of a impromptu farewell gathering for one of them (WWW :D).

Had lunch at Gardens Sushi Zanmai, chatted for a few hours, reminiscing the past, gossiping about the relationship statuses of different classmates.

Had a couple foosball matches (GM, tsk tsk tsk) before we finally go home.

That’s when I found out my little yellow car is not responding to my remote control.

“Okashii na…”, I tried pressing the button again while looking closely at the LED on the control – it is certainly working.

It can only mean one thing – the car’s dead.

Manual unlocking works, and the alarm didn’t sound – the alarm’s dead.

Tried igniting the engine, no response – the battery’s dead.

No open-door signal, no ignition ring – the battery is definitely dead.

Ooh yeah, I’m in deep shit now.

I asked a patrolling security guard to hold the bonnet while I pop it open (the bonnet was damaged, the release clutch doesn’t work without someone pulling the bonnet itself).

He got curious and asked, and I replied my battery’s dead.

He said they have a car downstairs and can help me with a jumpstart.

“Safe!” I thought.

Or not.

The colleagues back at their patrol counter told me my car is parked too far (7th floor), if it was parked at the basement, they could help me jumpstart it with their Kancil.

The only option they give me was: I have to find a volunteer car to donate some electrons, while they lend me their jumper wires.

Any sane person wouldn’t help a stranger in doing such a feat, especially in a quiet car park, especially in such a “safe” country we fondly referred to as “Bolehland”.

Luckily, my uncle, a mechanical engineer who likes to collect and tweak cars, who lived nearby, dropped by and gave the car some proper ‘cardio defibrillation’.

Right before the jump start process, the car actually showed some signs of life – the signal lights and ignition ring are glowing weakly, but the car still wouldn’t start.

Moral of the story: Keep a pair of jumper wires in the car, or better, a spare battery – in case something like this happens, and you’re in the middle of nowhere, and it’s dark outside, and there’s a guy holding a knife walking towards you, and there’s a girl wearing white floating towards you.

Shit does happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment